The new Mate 30 range recently unveiled Huawei is probably the most ambitious of the brand . The Mate 30 Pro, in particular, is at once innovative, while resting on safe values in terms of design. On the other hand, the fact that the different models are devoid of Google services is a serious obstacle to their popularity. That’s all you need to know about the different models in the range.
Release date and context
It was September 19, 2019 that Huawei has formalized its two new Mate Mate 30 and 30 Pro . Contrary to what we could believe, the two smartphones were not made available in stride. However, Huawei is not used to languishing users and always tends to launch new products soon after their presentation. But since the release of Mate 20 and Mate 20 Pro , unveiled in October 2018, things went wrong for the Chinese manufacturer.
Because meanwhile, Trump and his administration have come to prohibit any exchange between Huawei and its American partners . As a result, Huawei can no longer ship Android and Google apps on its phones. Finally, if: Huawei has the right to integrate the operating system on its devices, but it must now be content with the open source version of the operating system. And at the same time, the manufacturer is deprived of the Google Play Store , Gmail , Google Maps , etc. What a lot to change the deal with users, accustomed to use galore Google services, but also dozens of US applications like Facebook, Netflix, Twitter, etc.
To avoid disappointing its users, Huawei has decided not to market its Huawei Mate 30 and Mate 30 Pro in Europe … And France is concerned. On the other hand, the manufacturer does not close the door to the European market and wants to find a solution quickly. According to one of Huawei France’s spokespersons, the new smartphones could come out by the end of 2019.
Design of Mate 30 and Mate 30 Pro
One of the biggest changes in design compared to the Mate 20 and Mate 20 Pro is the back of the device . At the rear, both models inherit a very large circular photo sensor , placed in the middle of the device. As a reminder, the Mate 20 and Mate 20 Pro benefited from a square module located at the top left. In both cases, we are entitled to four sensors, but with different capacities as discussed below.
On the front, it is especially on the side of the Mate 30 Pro that you have to turn to take full mirettes. The screen of the device benefits from curved edges , which plunges the user into a total immersion. The screen display actually “unfolds” on the left and right sides, where we were entitled to black stripes on the Mate 20 Pro and P30 Pro (admittedly discreet).
Finally, note that the new smartphone overcomes setting buttons for volume. Only one ignition button remains on the right side of the unit. For audio, everything is now via the screen: by tapping twice on the left or right edges of the device, it brings up a sound adjustment menu.
Finally note that there is an even more “luxurious” version of the device, called Huawei Mate 30 RS Porsche Design . At the front, this 6.53 “model looks like a Mate 30 Pro. It’s on the back of the smartphone that everything happens. There is a black or red coating, provided with a wide black band designed to accommodate not only the 4 photo sensors, but also … a handle! What ensure a better grip of the smartphone in any kind of situation.
Processor and capabilities of Huawei Mate 30
For the first time, the Mate 30 and Mate 30 have been fitted with the new Kirin 990 engraved in 7nm , the successor to the Kirin 980, released just a year ago, which already offered excellent performance. The new processor was unveiled on September 2019 at IFA in Berlin every year and, according to the first benchmarks, offers unparalleled results. Kirin 990 holds high at Qualcomm Snapdragon 855+
Memory, we take advantage of 128 GB of storage space and 8 GB of RAM on the Mate 30. The Mate 30 Pro also has 8GB of RAM, but mainly benefits from 256 GB of storage space. Finally, the edition of Porsche Design is a real “monster” capacity: there are 12 GB of RAM and 512 GB of storage space.
And for the photo, what are we entitled to?
The back of the Mate 30 Pro has a quadruple photo sensor on the back. Two sensors have an image quality of 40 MPx. There is also a 5X zoom of 8 MPx. All signed Leica, of course.
The question that annoys: which OS and which applications?
This is a certainty: there is no Android application on the two new phones. As for Android, Huawei should be forced to turn to the Open Source version of the operating system. Clearly, Huawei now has two choices:
- market its smartphones under its new operating system, which is called Harmony OS . An extremely risky bet for users who are used to Android and its million apps available in the Play Store.
- either deliver a naked smartphone and offer a very basic version of Android. This should not prevent EMUI 10 from being installed as well. But it will be up to the user then to set up the applications that suit him with the help of APK files, starting with the Google Play Store, which is not hyper “general public” either. If we believe a photo that leaked from the device in motion , this hypothesis is the most credible.
Unless there is a turnaround and a last-minute deal between the United States and Huawei, the operating system is still the most sensitive issue for the Mate 30 and Mate 30 Pro.
Other rumors and their credibility
- Battery ⭐⭐⭐⭐: One should normally find a 4000 mAh battery on the Mate 30 and another battery of 4200 mAh on the Mate 30 Pro.
- 25 W or 30 W wireless charge ⭐⭐⭐⭐: Both smartphones could offer a brand new technology that can charge phones even faster by induction. Huawei filed a patent with the FCC in August 2019, but its certification remains incomplete. If the Chinese manufacturer manages to solve its troubles in time, the Mate 30 and Mate 30 Pro could be the first to benefit from a load in 30 W. Otherwise, it will be necessary to be content with the 25 W.
- 5G ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ technology : the Mate 30 Pro should logically benefit from 5G technology. Note that this is not the first Huawei smartphone to benefit, since it was the Mate 20 X that had the honors in July 2019. However, nothing has confirmed yet with respect to the Mate 30. This model may not benefit.
- Price ⭐⭐⭐⭐: if no information has really leaked yet, we still have a good idea of prices in terms of the price range of the two new devices. If we stick to what Huawei has always done with its range Mate, we should find the Mate 30 around 800 euros. The Mate 30 Pro is expected to approach the bar of 1000 euros.